I’m taking a creative writing class. Each week we are
given essays to write using different writing formats. This is an essay I did for
a hermit crab format and I did it in the form of footnotes.
10
Ways To Break Your Fucking Heart
1. Find
out one of your FAVORITE Hip Hop artist will be having a show.[1]
2. Find
out you will be in the same state at that time of the show. Realize you won’t
be in the same city as the show though. [2]
3. Put
up a very convincing argument and get your brother to buy you a round trip
ticket from the city you’ll be in to the city of the show.[3]
4. Lay
in bed that night just smiling because you are going to see your favorite
artist LIVE![4]
5. Tell
your friends who are in the city of the show when you will be there and that
they need to accompany you to make the enjoyment even more enjoyable.[5]
6. Think
about buying presold tickets for yourself and anyone who is down to go with you
to the show. You don’t buy the tickets, thinking you have a lot of time to do
so. [6]
7. Two
days before the show and you’re in the same city. [7]
8. It’s
the day of the concert. You spend that day imagining the songs he will play.
You think about buying presold tickets but still don’t because they keep
advertising so it’s not sold out yet.[8]
9. I
take my time to get ready. We get to the show and wait in line.[9]
10. We
get told it’s sold out.[10]
[1] Surfing on Instagram one day and
Bambu posts a picture stating he will he have a show on August 16, 2013 in San
Francisco! He has a sick line up of other rappers who will also be sharing the
stage with him.
[2] Checked my itinerary and I will be in Los
Angeles during that time. I tell myself I have to get to San Francisco to watch
that show. I ask my cousins/ friends who
live in California and they all tell me that’s like and eight hour drive and I
kept hitting road blocks on ways to get there.
[3]
My brother lives in San Francisco and I argue with him that this is a once in a
lifetime opportunity for me. I used the excuse that because I live on Guam when
I would get another chance to see him. He agrees to buy me a round trip ticket
from Los Angeles to San Francisco then back so I can catch to show.
[4]
I’m just all smiles. Words couldn’t even explain how excited I was. I’d listen
to his music and imagine him pulling me on stage with him and rapping a song
with him.
[5]
I want to tell the world that I’m going to the show, I don’t. I settle by
telling my friends who live in San Francisco that they have to come with me so
they could understand why I LOVE Bambu. My friends and I don’t all listen to
the same kind of music. Especially with me, because I listen to underground Hip
Hop so I wanted to share this experience with them.
[6]
I’m so amped I think about buying everyone tickets. Because I’m inviting them,
I feel like I should be the one to treat them. But I guess because of my Guam mentality
I don’t buy tickets. I think it won’t sell out and I still have a lot of time
before the show to buy tickets.
[7]
At this time I’ve already been on vacation a little over two weeks. I’ve been
busy seeing family, eating, meeting new people, sightseeing, being real
touristy. But two days before the show and I’m finally here I think to myself.
I’m finally going to see Bambu. So my excitement is at a 10x high right now.
[8]
For some reason something kept telling me to buy advance tickets. Even my
friend brings it up and I tell her “nah, we don’t have to.” There was so much
advertisement on Instagram, blogs and on Facebook about the show that in my
mind they must still have a lot of tickets to sell if they are still
advertising the day of the show.
[9]
Call it Guam time style but the show starts at 9 PM, my friend said we will
leave the house at 8:30 because it takes about 30 minutes to get to San Francisco.
At 8:30 while she was ready to go I just start to get ready. My friend had to
remind me that I’m not on Guam anymore and it doesn’t take 10 minutes to get
anywhere and parking is crazy to find in the city, even at night and most
especially because it’s a Friday.
[10] We get to Brick and Mortar, the place that’s
holding the show. Small line outside and we wait. I take a picture of the
marquee with Bambu’s name for memories. I kept saying “oh my gosh I’m here.” My
purse is a little heavy because I bring a ‘Straight out of Guamton’ t-shit and
a bag of the Chamorro chocolate chip cookies I brought from Guam that I plan on
giving Bambu. In my head I see Bambu before he takes the stage. Tell him my
long story about how I’m a fan all the way from Guam, everything I did to get
to this show and I buy him a drink. I’m smiling. Five minutes past still standing
in line and then this guy walks bout to the crowd and tells us that they are
sold out.
My heart drops.
I had the chance to see Bambu, Rocky Rivera, Ruby Ibarra
and Rey Rez live while I was on vacation. As you can see after reading this essay
I didn’t catch them. I’m honestly devastated.
But I couldn’t show it. I couldn’t be devastated in front of people. It’s not that
I didn’t want to be devastated or show how disappointed I was but I guess I already
felt something like this was too good to be true. I feel like every time I build
sooo much hype about something it’ll never follow through, the way I want it to.
So I learn to try not to make a big deal at things that happen in my life. I “just
let it happen.” But damn, I really did want to catch them.
No comments:
Post a Comment